Fishcake Side Dish (2) | Odeng (오뎅)

It's September 11 so I just want to make mention and give a minute to think about those who lost their lives in 2001. It was a tragic event, of course, but for a glass half-full perspective, it's lovely to think about the camaraderie and generosity and harmony that grows when people, from all over the world, stand together. It's touching and amazing. So try to think positive thoughts. Lose the road rage, let someone cut you in the queue at the bank, say hello to a stranger, and live life beautifully, at least for today.

Yesterday, I updated my anchovy side dish. Today, it's my fishcake side dish. Fishcake doesn't sound super appealing to most people but if you're into Asian cuisine, you're likely a fan. It's an easy way to easily incorporate a protein into the meal because you can make a huge batch, refrigerate it, and eat it with bahp (rice) for dinner when you're in a hurry. I mean, that's what my mom did for our family as kids. It was a quick go-to that was convenient to keep in the fridge.

One major component of my recipe has changed from the original recipe that I posted in 2011. I discovered these super thick fishcake sheets and we haven't gone back to the pathetic thin sheets ever since. It's definitely a preference thing but I think the thicker ones are just so much yummier and really great inside soups, in ddukbokki, and perfect for this little stir-fry side dish. I wish I could go back in time and ask my mom why she preferred the thinner ones and then convince her to convert to the thicker ones. Think of all the years I've spent with thin fishcake; what a waste!
Ingredients:
2 sheets thick fishcake (greeting card-sized is the best way I can describe them)
½ onion, sliced
3 long hot peppers, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
½ teaspoon hot pepper flakes (gochugaru)
1 teaspoon sesame seeds

Start by prepping the vegetables and the fishcake. Slice up half an onion into little half-moons, slice up the peppers, and mince the garlic. Cut the fishcake into bite-sized pieces.
Get all of your ingredients ready and get cooking. Heat up a skillet over a medium flame. Add the oil, onions, and peppers and cook until they're softened. Toss in the fish cakes and mix them up to coat in oil and get some color. Drizzle in some sesame oil. Then, sprinkle in the sugar and soy sauce and mix everything together to combine. Allow the soy to soak into the fishcake and then sprinkle with hot pepper flakes and turn off the stove.
The final touch is to sprinkle in some sesame seeds.
Scoop the fishcake stir-fry into a serving dish and then it's time to eat! The fishcake is a perfect combination of salty and sweet and savory and it's delicious.

Here's the recipe page:

Comments