Salted Caramel & Nutella Brownies

I don't often share the food I make with people. I mean, yes, my family gets to enjoy it and a few select friends, but despite the fact that I'm always making loads of food, a v. small percentage of the people I know get to experience it. I think it's partly because I'm insecure and I fear criticism but it's mostly because I don't want to bring someone food and make them feel obligated to eat it just because I gave it to them. Is that weird? I don't know.

I think it's because as a kid, adults would give me food that I didn't like and I felt like I just had to eat it so I wouldn't hurt their feelings. One time, at a sleepover, my friend's mum set out bagels for us in the morning. They were so stale but I didn't want to be rude so I took a few bites and then stuffed the bagel down my shirt. Later, I went to the bathroom and threw it in the waste bin and then covered it up with a bunch of toilet paper and tissues. After a while, I got savvier and started to lie and say I was allergic to a long list of foods because saying you're allergic to something is such an easy way to get out of eating someone without hurting any feelings.

Perhaps I'm too sensitive and weird; I don't care.

However, over the holiday season, we were getting sent loads of sweets from our clients at work. The kitchen was always stocked with cookies and candies and assorted nuts and toffee. Everyone seemed to gobble them up. I think we were all in the mindset that the clock was ticking on terrible eating because, as we all know, during the month of January, you are only allowed to drink green juice and snack on kale. So, I thought I'd add to the pile of treats, v. inconspicuously, and bring in a batch of brownies. Because the theme of all the treats we'd already eaten was "decadence," I knew I couldn't just make regular brownies. So, I decided to amp them up with salted caramel and Nutella.
Ingredients [8"x8" pan]:
4 oz. 60% cacao chocolate (or milk or dark, whatever you prefer)
¾ cup butter (1-1/2 sticks)
½ teaspoon espresso powder
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup flour
¾ cup cocoa powder
+ ½ cup Nutella
+ ½ cup salted caramel sauce (or use a faux dulce de leche)

Grab a pan and grease it with butter and line the pan with parchment. The parchment isn't 100% necessary but it makes it easier to pop the brownies out of the pan.
Grab a bowl and chuck in the butter and chocolate chips and melt them over a double boiler until smooth.
Grab another bowl and add in the sugar, salt, and chocolate. Pour in the vanilla extract and crack in the eggs and whisk to combine.
Sift in some flour and cocoa powder and whisk just until combined. Do not over mix. Let the batter sit a minute, which will help the gluten calm down.
Meanwhile, make some caramel sauce (or use store bought).
Spoon half of the brownie batter into the the pan and spread it to form a uniform layer. The batter will be incredibly rich and thick, which is a good thing. The brownie will be super rich and delicious. After the first brownie layer, spread on a layer of Nutella and caramel.
Spread on another layer of brownie batter.
And then drop on some dollops of Nutella and drizzle on more caramel.
Bake at 350F for 20 to 25 minutes. I like to undercook brownies so that they'll be a little extra ooey gooey.
Once it's done, pop it out of the pan, let it cool, and then dig in.
So gooey and chewy and delicious. The salted caramel gets stuck in your teeth, the Nutella adds a melty goodness, and the brownie is so decadent.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments

  1. These sound super yummy! And I totally know what you mean about not wanting people to feel obligated to eat something just because you made it or brought it...however I also secretly hope they will at least try it and end up loving it as much as I do ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly! I always hope to overhear people saying, "YUM!"

      I took a look at your blog too. It's so cute!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say!