Mixed Noodles (2) | Bibim Guksu (비빔국수)

Apparently my blood is extremely delicious because every summer, without fail, I accumulate dozens of bites. The second I step outside, they flock and I become the mosquito buffet. It's just something I have to put up with during this season. Cooking also seems to be something I "put up with" during the summer instead of being something I enjoy. It's just so hot that my appetite wanes and I'm really unenthused about standing over a stove.

This was the case a couple of weeks ago. It was a sweaty hot weekend and I had no motivation to get up off of the couch to get dinner started. Then, I realized we had a bunch of vegetables in the crisper, begging to be used, and I decided to make bibim guksu. My old bibim guksu post is outdated and in need of an update so I photographed this version to share.
Ingredients [yields 4 servings]:
4 bundles Korean wheat noodles (소면 / somyun)
1½ cups cabbage kimchi, chopped
¼ cup hot pepper paste (gochujang)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons brown sugar
½ teaspoon grated ginger
2 teaspoon sesame seeds
+ 2 eggs
+ 1 baby cucumber, sliced
+ ½ bell pepper, sliced
+ 1 scallion, chopped
+ ½ avocado, sliced
+ sesame seeds

*The first 8 ingredients are the necessary bits and to be honest, 90% of the time, it's all I use when I'm making bibim guksu for lunch. The egg and vegetables are really just extras that you can throw in when you're feeling fancy or serving to guests. The 10% of the time that I add in the extras, it's because I'm making bibim guksu for dinner and I want to make it more filling.

Start by adding the chopped kimchi to a bowl with hot pepper paste, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, sugar, sesame seeds, and grated ginger. Mix it all together.
If you're going the fancier route, grab your vegetables and chop them up.
Add in most of the cucumbers, most of the bell peppers, and all of the scallions. Reserve a few slices of cucumber and bell pepper for garnishing.
Cook the noodles in boiling water until tender. It'll take maybe 5 to 7 minutes.
Drain the noodles and rinse under cold water until they're completely cooled.
Toss the noodles in the kimchi mixture.
Grab an avocado and slice and then scoop.
Just an aside, I made some kalbi to eat alongside the bibim guksu.
Once the noodles are tossed, portion them out into serving bowls.
Garnish the noodles with avocado, bell peppers, cucumber slices, half an egg, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
The noodles are fresh and cold and bright and perfect for summer. The crunch from the kimchi and the vegetables give it a salad-like aspect. I love the softness of the egg and the avocado and the chewy noodles.
I think bibim guksu would also make a delicious picnic dish because it travels well and it's so pretty.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments